Invitation to Care Home Providers on behalf of:
Strategic Lead for Physical Activity
Directorate of Health, Wellbeing and Children’s Services
Suffolk County Council, Endeavour House, 8 Russell Road, Ipswich, IP1 2BX
Subject: 2018 Suffolk Care Home Olympics
You are invited to enter the 3rd Suffolk Care Home Olympics.
Following the success of last year’s competition we have once again teamed-up with Elatus Sports (a social enterprise providing disabled and vulnerable people with the chance to play sport (www.elatussports.co.uk/)) to organise the competition.
Effectively, the competition will operate as follows:
• Each participating care setting will receive six 1 hour sessions of instructor led activity over six weeks, free of charge.
• Participating homes will be split into three groups and sessions will be organised by Matt Abbott from Elatus Sports. The groups will be run consecutively.
• The exact dates of the activity will be agreed with each individual care setting so that it is mutually convenient.
• The activity will be structured so that over the six sessions three adapted sports will be covered – boccia, (indoor) fishing and curling (2 sessions per sport). All sports will be structured so that they are suitable for the audience.
• During the first session in each sport participants will receive a taster experience, the second week will be competition week. The focus of this will be on fun. During competition week, scores will be collected from those participating.
• These scores will be compared against the scores from the other participating care settings to find two winning settings in each group.
• These winning homes will then compete in a super final to find the overall winner.
• Trophies/medals will be provided for team winners, overall and per sport.
• There will also be prizes awarded to the individual highest scores for each sport.
• Elatus will provide email updates to all participating settings after each individual sport competition (i.e. every 2 weeks) so that everybody is fully informed of how they’re getting on.
If you would like to be one of the settings taking part in the Suffolk Care Home Olympics there are a few things that you need to be aware of:
1. Activity co-ordinators will be expected to shadow the delivery staff from Elatus Sports, for the entirety of every session.
2. Activity co-ordinators will be required to complete a questionnaire at the end of the initiative about their experiences.
3. During the final session (week 6) additional time will be allocated so that Elatus staff can talk informally to participants to gather their feedback about their experience of the initiative
4. Activity will be delivered on your site to your residents. They will not be required to leave your setting at any point.
5. All Elatus staff are a minimum level 2 qualified, have DBS checks, first aid training and safeguarding certifications. Evidence of this will be available for inspection as required.
6. All participating settings will be required to agree to being featured in publicity relating to the initiative, including photography of those participating and/or winning. (Details to follow, but there will be a social media competition running throughout this years competition).
7. Involvement is being offered on a first come, first served basis although priority will be given to first time entrants.
If you would like to take part please email Matt Abbott at Elatus Sports (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will liaise with you directly to schedule your sessions.
T: 01473 260821
M: 07894 598296